After installing a new concrete floor, you may expect it to look beautiful and smooth for many years. But, just a few weeks or months after pouring, you may find that small cracks or chips are beginning to form on the surface. These cracks and chips may start small, but if left unmonitored, they may become much more substantial.
After pouring, it is important that you know how to prevent cracks and chips in your concrete floors. But to understand how to prevent these cracks and chips, you need to understand how they form. Our team at Solid Garage Floor Coatings of Utah is here to help you understand how to prevent cracks and chips in your concrete floors and what causes them in the first place.
What Causes Cracks And Chips In Your Concrete Floor?
There are several factors that may lead to cracks and chips in your concrete floors that you might not think about during the pouring process. But it is important to know these factors because it gives you an opportunity to prevent excess damage from the start. Some factors that lead to cracks and chips in your concrete floors include the following:
- You Don’t Have Control Joints: As your concrete dries and hardens, it is not abnormal for cracks to appear. However, to prevent large cracks from forming at random in the concrete, your concrete professional should put control joints in the concrete. These act as a predetermined weak point in the concrete, where cracks can form straight down. If you don’t have joints in your concrete, you may notice cracks forming at random across the surface of your concrete.
- There Was Physical Damage: Concrete floors see a lot of traffic, and while they are strong, they are not infallible. Over time, this traffic can cause cracks and chips in your concrete floors. You may notice these forming after physical damage to the floor, like dropping or placing heavy items. If there is physical damage, it may act as the epicenter of any cracking and chipping that follows.
- The Weather Fluctuated: Your concrete floors will shrink and expand when the weather changes. However, because it is a rigid material, it may crack or chip if it wants to expand or contract more than it is capable of. The cracks may start small, but they may become more substantial and visible to the naked eye over time.
What Can You Do To Prevent Cracks And Chips In Your Concrete Floors?
If you want to prevent cracks and chips in your concrete floors, your best course of action is to get in contact with a professional floor coating company to apply a coating after your concrete floors have cured. There are many ways that floor coatings can protect your concrete, including preventing excess moisture absorption, exposure to chemicals, and preventing scratches. If you are looking for a good way to prevent cracks and chips in your concrete floors and protect them for years to come, you should consider adding a floor coating to your concrete.
What Is The Best Floor Coating Solution To Prevent Cracks And Chips?
There are a couple of floor coating options for anyone looking to prevent cracks and chips in their concrete floors. The most popular floor coating solutions available to homeowners include the following:
- Epoxy Floor Coatings: For several reasons, epoxy floor coatings are especially popular among do-it-yourselfers. They allow homeowners to fully customize their floors for their space and are much more durable than an untreated concrete surface. They are also a more cost-effective floor coating solution.
- Polyaspartic Floor Coatings: Polyaspartic floor coatings are the strongest floor coating solution on the market, making them a great choice for any space. They are also incredibly flexible and cure quickly. They are one of the most popular floor coating solutions on the market because of their versatility and strength.
Protecting Your Concrete Floors With Solid Garage Floor Coatings Of Utah
When you make the investment in pouring new concrete floors, you want to do everything in your power to keep them looking their best and staying as strong as possible. By getting a floor coating, you protect your investment. If you are looking to prevent cracks and chips in your concrete floors and would like to get a floor coating, you should work with a team of professionals who want the best for your home.
At Solid Garage Floor Coatings of Utah, our team of trained professionals wants your concrete floors to look beautiful and match their space perfectly. If you are looking for a concrete floor coating and would like to receive a quote for your home or commercial space or would like to speak with a member of our team, contact us today.